Thursday, July 27, 2006

Journaling here

My journal is in my car and I've had a shower and in my pjs so thought I'd journal here instead....

Scripture: Ps 16:5 LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine.

The Big Idea: He is my cup of blessing - blessing is sure when we know God.

Application: Even when we are in times of tension or waiting, we can remind ourselves that He is our cup of blessing. It's so easy to focus on what we don't have or what we are waiting for God to provide, and to stop remembering all the wonderful blessings that we do have. I always have a cup of blessing - something I can drink from, something that I can carry, something to refresh me. The cup is often a metaphor for a person's life - what do I contain, what do I carry within me. We have a cup of blessing!

It's just such a lovely thought - and such a constant one. He never changes. He never leaves us. He never forsakes us. He is closer than our closest friend. He is always gracious and His unfailing love is always with us. He is faithful and is faithful in blessing. We don't have to twist his arm or convince him, or trick him, or even be good enough. His blessing is certain. We often have to learn to recognise it. We can be so busy looking at what we want/think we need/others have that we want or something like that and we fail to recognise and give thanks for all the wonderful blessings of God He has poured out upon us.

Prayer: Holy Spirit - help me to recognise the blessings that are poured out upon me each day, and to give thanks always...

5 comments:

kathryn said...

poured out upon you each day... like your birthday perhaps??! kept that nice and quiet Ruth! Good thing you've got Sarah to tell your secret to the rest of us! :P

Steffany said...

Happy Birthday Ruth!

I'm going to try and wish you a happy birthday through all the means of communication I have.
So I've already sent you a text, left a comment on your blog, I'm about to send you an email. What other ways are there?

jess said...

In my most recent post (todays) I have mentioned you, Ruth! :)
check it out!

kathryn said...

Isn't it funny Stef that you forgot actually calling Ruth on the telephone. How old school is that??! :P

Steffany said...

Haha pretty funny indeed. Was also just rereading this post. And I thought it said..

Have had a shower IN MY PYJAMAS..

Instead of have had a shower and am in my pyjamas..

Haha - Imagine that - Having a shower with your pyjamas on!!
Classic.