Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I can't sleep

As the post says, I can't sleep! I got up just before 1 and had some sultana bran and thought I might surf a little hoping it would make me tired... hm, hasn't worked yet. A good friend told me the other day that if yo lie in bed for 20 minutes and can't get to sleep, best to get up and do something rather than just lie there. Thinking back, I don't know if my friend meant that getting up would make me sleepy or just more productive! If I still don't feel too tired soon I think I'll take my chances going back to bed!

I have looked at the Courier Mail's new website which I quite like, and aboslutely love their new size paper. I can't quite understand why some people think a change in size means they are going to start to dumb down their content. Each to their own I guess. At least I can read the paper by holding it now, and don't have to lie it down on a table or bench or the floor and peer over the whole thing. So I like it much better.

I went to the gym again today and did my weights session. I have a feeling I will be quite sore tomorrow! Part of my program is lunges - 2 sets of 10. They kill! ANyway, Stephen and JOsh were both doing some weights near where I was doing my lunges and in the second set I stopped after 8 as it just hurt so much. Josh just said - was that what you were meant to do Ruth? - and I knew I had to finish the other 2! It's amazing how another person can motivate you, even just by asking a simple question. That's the benefit of community - accountability, encouragement, team. We weren't created to do life alone.

1 comment:

Rohan said...

You're not meant to get up because you're productive, but rather to increase your chances of getting tired/falling asleep.

The idea is to change your environment and distract your mind - you are more likely to fall asleep after 10-15 minutes of this if you go back to bed.

Suggested activities are reading a book (even a boring one) or watching TV that is not intellectually confronting.