Saturday, September 09, 2006

Ritual vs revelation

I have been thinking a bit about something.
Working with songwriters, we often have conversations about not wanting to be cliched in the lyrics we write.
Leading worship for about 15 years, and leading the worship team for 6 years has also given me much occasion to think about keeping it fresh week in and week out.
What's the secret to keeping it fresh?
Are things really as cliched as we sometimes say they are?

It's about revelation. You can say God is Love and it can sound like a cliche beacuse you have heard it before. But if you have a revelation that God is love - it becomes the most meaningful, multi-layered statement in the universe....

Last week I was in a worship service and was singing and realised something was lacking. You could say I was just repeating some empty phrases.

So, because I despise empty religion and always want to worship with integrity, I knew I had to do something. So, I reached into the well of revelation my spirit had received in the last few days and let my mind respond to that. (This all took place in a matter of seconds of course)!

A freshness and meaning suddenly came alive in my worship!

It's always about revelation...
In a sense, we are responsible for the vibrancy of our worship.
We could sing the name of Jesus for hours and it still be fresh if we sing out of revelation.

5 comments:

Steffany said...

I think people also get caught up in the whole - the music wasn't that great this week, or there were some stuff ups.
It bugs me that people let that stop them from truly connecting with God.
Worship is more than just technicalities.

Is technicalities a word? Or did I just spell it wrong?

jess said...

technicality stuff ups do make it a tad distraction because they usually muck up the correct words that you are singing with adoration to God...BUT there are next to no stuff ups with our awesome worship teams.
Ruth - this post was pretty awesome, what I have been kinda thinking about lately..

jess said...

Steff - I used it so it must be a word.

Ruth said...

Technicalities is definitely a word!

Sunshine Boy said...

its the thought that counts.